+1 (407) 866-8733



Close this search box.

Type of visas that allows you to work temporarily in the USA

The United States offers a variety of visas for those who wish to work in the country, and two of the most popular are the H1B visa and the H2B visa. 

The H1B visa is designed for those coming to work in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise in specialized fields, such as architecture, engineering, mathematics, science, or medicine. To qualify for an H1B visa, applicants must have a bachelor’s degree or higher in their respective fields. Additionally, they must be sponsored by their employer and paid the prevailing wage for the occupation offered. 

The H2B visa is designed for those coming to work in non-agricultural temporary or seasonal jobs that are not of a long-term or permanent nature. To qualify for an H2B visa, applicants must have a job offer from a U.S. employer and the job must meet certain requirements. Additionally, they must be paid the prevailing wage for the occupation offered. 

Both of these visas allow foreign workers to come and work in the United States for up to three years.


The E-1 visa
, also known as Treaty Trade Visa, is a non-immigrant visa for citizens of countries that the US has trade agreements with. It allows people from these countries to come to the US and conduct international trade. The trader or employee must be vital to the operations in the United States and have a continuous flow of commerce between their country and America. 

The E2 visa is a non-immigrant classification for individuals who wish to work in the United States. This type of visa allows an investor to develop and direct their business in the US, as well as be employed by it. 

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa enables foreign individuals who are approved by an exchange visitor program sponsored by the US Department of State to travel to America temporarily with the intention of gaining practical experience within his/her respective field. These visitors can work and study under this visa, but they cannot extend it beyond its initial validity date.



L-1 Intra-Company Transfer Visa

This visa is available to employees of international companies with branch offices in the US to transfer from the foreign office to the American one for a short period of time. It also allows executives, managers and specialized knowledge workers who are employed by an overseas company to enter the United States temporarily to oversee and/or manage a new or existing business. 

O-1 Extraordinary Ability Visas 

The O-1 visa is reserved for individuals who demonstrate extraordinary ability or achievement in their area. This includes but is not limited to research, education, athletics and business. The individual must have received national recognition as outstanding in his/her field. 

TN NAFTA Professional Visa

This visa is reserved for citizens of Canada and Mexico under the North American Free Trade Agreement to work in a professional occupation that has been designated by NAFTA. It allows an individual to enter the US in order to engage in business activities at a professional level. 

F1 – academic student visa

The F1 visa is a common route for international students to work in the USA. It is a temporary visa which allows you to study and work in the US for a limited amount of time. To be eligible, international students must first apply to an academic institution and gain admission. Once accepted, the student can then apply for an F1 visa with CPT (Curricular Practical Training) and OPT (Optional Practical Training) authorization. 

CPT authorizes part-time or full-time employment while studying at an accredited American school and OPT allows up to one year of practical training after graduation. For STEM courses the OPT can be extended to 36 months. Both CPT and OPT will require that you are employed by a company that is directly related to your area of study; however, CPT can be used immediately upon acceptance and it does not require prior approval from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

The F1 visa is a great option for international students who are looking to gain valuable work experience in the USA. With this type of visa, you will have the opportunity to study and work while gaining valuable skills which will help you become more competitive in the global job market. However, it is important to keep in mind that your stay in the US with an F1 Visa is temporary and you must meet all requirements to remain eligible.


These are just some of the many visas available that allow people from other countries to come and legally work in the United States. Each visa comes with its own requirements and qualifications, so it is important to research all options before applying for a particular one. Additionally, having the right legal guidance can help ensure that any application process runs smoothly. 

In conclusion, these five visas are just some of the ways people from other nations can obtain permission to legally work in the United States. Each visa has its own set of qualifications and requirements, so it is important to research all available options before applying for a particular one. Additionally, having the right legal guidance can help make sure that applications are successful. 

By understanding the various visas available for working in the United States, individuals from other nations will have more opportunities to pursue professional ambitions while also providing an economic boost to the American economy. With this knowledge, everyone can benefit from these visas and all they offer.



The information provided in this article is not intended to be legal advice. It is highly recommended that you seek the assistance of an experienced immigration lawyer or expert for further guidance on which visa may best suit your individual needs and circumstances. Ultimately, it is important to make sure that any application process is done correctly and thoroughly for a successful outcome.